New lens materials and revolutionary new optical technologies are available at Relf Optical. Our staff is prepared to educate you regarding these new products, and help you to make the choice which best suits your needs. We work with various manufacturers, both local and remote, to ensure that your eyewear meets your vision requirements as well as your lifestyle.
Some of our lens options are described below:
‣ Digital lenses: For the first time, personalized prescription lenses are available in more lens designs at up to 1/100 of a diopter in accuracy. These new, advanced technology digital lenses are available in both single vision, as well as progressive (no-line bifocal) lenses.
Digital lenses are a result of a new process for surfacing the lens. The new digital surfacing equipment uses less tooling and has direct contact on the lens. This enables the prescription to stay true to what the doctor ordered, resulting in lenses six times more accurate than before. Also, rather than the lens being manufactured in a mold with the prescription on the front surface of the lens, it is ground specifically to the patient’s prescription on the back surface of the lens. This new surfacing technique allows at least twenty percent wider vision channels for both intermediate and near. Computer use and reading becomes more comfortable and enjoyable.
Digital lenses are ideal for all patients who want to experience the latest in lens technology, while those with high prescriptions and large amounts of astigmatism will experience the greatest “Wow” factor.
Anti-reflective digital lenses appear almost invisible enabling people to see your eyes when looking at them, not the annoying reflections on your lenses. Anti reflective coating cuts glare that occurs with night driving and computer use also. Crizal Avance anti-reflective coating is guaranteed against scratches for 2 years, while most anti-reflective coatings are warranted against scratches for 1 year or less.
At Relf optical, the cost of digital lenses is comparable to conventional progressives. For example, a plastic Varilux Comfort with Crizal Avance is priced $320.00, while a digital progressive with Crizal Avance is priced $342.00.
‣ Anti-Reflective Coatings, including the new Crizal from Varilux which is more durable and easy to clean.
‣ High Index lenses provide the thinnest profile lenses currently available. We can access specialty lenses for high Rx patients from Optima, Hoya, and Seiko. We will also help you to choose an attractive frame most suitable for your Rx.
‣ Polarized Sun: we’ll help you figure out what you need, and which lens is best for your outdoor needs. We have a number of options which allow you to switch out lenses according to environmental conditions and sporting activity. Great for you skiers and golfers out there!
‣ Transitional lenses continue to make many of our patients happy, providing variable protection from glare and brightness. This option is enjoyed by those who’d like one pair of glasses that does it all.
‣ “Task” lenses for use in the office, on the computer, at the piano : more and more of our patients are benefiting from the ease of vision and comfort to the neck and back experienced by those using these specially configured task-oriented lenses. Ask to learn more.
‣ Standard lined bifocal and trifocal lenses are still a great option for many of our patients, many of whom are quite visually discriminating. We are able to special order different sized reading segments for our patients, as desired. We understand that one size does not fit all, when it comes to eyewear.
Your optician at Relf Optical is knowledgeable regarding all the above, and willing to give you sound practical advice as you choose your new lenses. We are also able to research new products which may be of interest to you. We would like to be viewed as your optical “resource center”. As always, we enjoy advocating for you, our customer.
As people age, their ability to focus at certain distances diminishes. This condition, known as presbyopia, can easily be addressed with prescription lenses. Today’s sophisticated multifocal lenses allow your eyes to focus at all distances without visible lines in your glasses. These “progressive add” lenses come in different optical configurations to meet different patients’ needs, and fit in all different sized frames, from large to small.
Digital lenses: For the first time, personalized prescription lenses are available in more lens designs at up to 1/100 of a diopter in accuracy. These new, advanced technology digital lenses are available in both single vision, as well as progressive (no-line bifocal) lenses.
Digital lenses are a result of a new process for surfacing the lens. The new digital surfacing equipment uses less tooling and has direct contact on the lens. This enables the prescription to stay true to what the doctor ordered, resulting in lenses six times more accurate than before. Digital lenses are similar to the quality of a digital camera.
Digital lenses enable patients to enjoy up to twenty percent wider vision channels for both intermediate and near distances. This makes computer use and reading more comfortable and enjoyable.Digital lenses are ideal for all patients who want to experience the latest in lens technology, while those with high prescriptions and large amounts of astigmatism will experience the greatest “Wow” factor. Anti-reflective digital lenses appear almost invisible enabling people to see your eyes when looking at them, not the annoying reflections on your lenses.
There is no right or wrong answer here – everyone is different. This is largely a matter of personal preference. Either lens can be right for you depending on your visual needs, or even how your brain works!
The standard bifocal (with lines) provides best vision at distance (driving) and at near (reading), with minimal distortion off to the side. This type of lens generally gives patients a broader range of reading vision. There is no intermediate or arm’s length (computer) vision correction with a standard bifocal – a trifocal is necessary to see clearly at intermediate distance.
The progressive (no line) bifocal changes gradually from top to bottom, including a range of powers which provides clear vision at all distances, from far to near. Like the standard bifocal or trifocal, different distances are clear depending on which part of the lens you are looking through. With the progressive lens, however, some patients feel it’s a bit more difficult to align the proper part of the lens with their reading materials. Some find they must “point their nose to where they need to see”; others are not bothered by this at all.
Computer glasses, or office lenses designed for certain tasks and specific working distances, are great for comfortable vision during prolonged computer or desk work. Rather than leaning forward and tilting you chin up to access the proper part of your lined trifocal or even you progressive add lens, you are able to sit in a natural position while working. This leads to fewer chronic neck and back problems, and much less visual stress on the job. Fewer neck aches, backaches, and headaches!
Yes and no. As with most things, you get what you pay for, up to a point.
Those who plan to keep their glasses for more than a year or two, and perhaps like to hang on to a favorite old pair for backup, find that a higher quality product, both frame and lenses, is simply more durable.
Those who are visually discriminating will see a big difference in the quality of their vision, depending on both the fit of the frame and the optical quality of the lenses.
Fit is extremely important, as even the best eyewear will not work well if the chosen frame does not fit both your face, and your prescription. Our opticians are proud of their skill in this area – we will not sell you a frame that is not right for you.
At Relf Optical, we have gone out of our way to provide a wide range of eyewear to meet all our customers’ needs, accommodating different tastes and different budgets. We never buy the top end of a poor quality line of frames; we identify and stock the lower end of a great quality line of frames, so that we can stand behind our product and our work with pride.